Dependent Visa

What is a dependent Visa

A dependent visa is a type of visa that allows family members or dependents of someone who holds a valid visa or residency permit to join them in a foreign country for a temporary or permanent stay. This type of visa is usually issued to the spouse, children, parents, or other family members of the main visa holder, who is also known as the primary sponsor or the principal applicant.

The eligibility requirements for a dependent visa vary depending on the country and the type of visa being applied for. In general, the sponsor must provide evidence that they can financially support their dependents while they are in a foreign country. The sponsor may also need to provide documents such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, and proof of relationship to the dependent.

A dependent visa typically allows the holder to live, work, or study in a foreign country for the duration of the visa’s validity. However, the visa holder’s ability to work or study may be restricted depending on the specific visa category and the country’s immigration rules.

Who can eligible for a dependent visa?

A dependent for visa purposes is:

  • A husband, wife, or civil partner.
  • An unmarried partner if you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years.
  • A child under 18 years old.

If you are extending your student visa and have children over the age of 18, they may be able to apply for further permission to stay as a Dependent.

If your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner is applying as your dependent the relationship must be genuine and subsisting at the time of application and you must intend to live together throughout your stay in Europe or any other country.

For children to be eligible for a dependent visa, it is a requirement that both parents need to be in Europe or coming to Europe. There are a few exceptions to this requirement. Families who cannot meet this requirement will need evidence of the ‘serious and compelling’ reasons why the child should be with you in Europe, or that you have ‘sole responsibility’ for the child, and that you have made suitable arrangements for the child’s care.

We hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

For a FREE consultation & profile assessment please contact us now!


Scroll to Top


Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp

× Hi! How may I help You?